Puppy Adoption Process
Our Black Russian Terriers Puppies
Our Black Russian Terriers come from world champion lines, Russian champions and Israeli champions lines. Please check out the dams and sires pedigrees for yourself. Our pups have good conformation and good temperaments. Obviously, there may be a pup or two that are truly exceptional in the litter that are champion caliber. We will reserve him/her for someone interested in showing, breeding or just want the very best.
We care very much for our BRTs and what type of homes our puppies go to. For this reason, we need to know more about you and your household to determine the suitability of the pup to your family. Before sale, we require a puppy application to be either filled out and returned to us via EMail or you can call us to answer the basic questions. We are more than happy to answer any questions you may have about our BRTs or about BRTs in general.
First 8 weeks
The first 8 weeks of a puppy’s life are critical for their lifetime personality. Our puppies are lovingly born and house-raised in clean, comfortable surroundings. Careful attention is given to their socialization and development. The extra time spent with the puppies makes a big difference in their personalities. Our puppies are not the least bit shy. They are bold, affectionate and fearless. At time of sale, all puppies have been vaccinated and wormed as appropriate for their age, micro-chipped and have had their dewclaws removed. Naturally, all of our puppies are registered with the American Kennel Club.
We offer one of the very best breeder-support systems in the Northwest. We are always available to answer questions on care and training. If we can’t answer the question, we can refer to someone who can.
We care very much about the puppies we produce, and have specific requirements for our potential homes. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of a puppy to any home we feel is not suitable. A Black Russian Terrier purchased from us must be maintained as a housepet and the owner must have a securely fenced yard. We do not sell Black Russian Terriers to homes that allow them to free-roam or use chaining as a method of containment. If necessary, a home visit is required prior to sale. If necessary, a club associate may make the home visit.
Attendance at a Puppy Kindergarten class is required. All pet puppies are sold on a spay/neuter agreement. A puppy sold as “show” can be shown. In the event the purchaser cannot keep a dog, the BRT may be returned to us.
We are located in Bellingham, Washington. Bellingham is 100 miles north of Seattle, or 30 miles south of Vancouver, B.C.
Puppy Purchase Contract
With our contract, we establish basic rights and obligations for the seller and purchaser. There are no surprise co-ownership clauses. If you buy the puppy, then it is yours.
Sample - CONTRACT AND BILL OF SALE (click to view)
Sample CONTRACT AND BILL OF SALE
Seller: John Cadman Buyer: BRT Lover
3919 Isaacson Road 3456 Tchiorny Pl.
Bellingham, WA. Bellingham, WA.
Purchase Price: $ Breed: Black Russian Terrier Male
Date of Sale: 05-24-2005 Color: Black
Date of Birth: 03-21-2005 Litter Registration #: WS126846
The puppy will be registered with the AKC as: Pinnacle’s _________________________________
The laws of the state of Washington shall govern this contract. The puppy named above is subject to the following conditions:
1. Seller warrants that on the date of sale above, the dog appears to be free from any communicable diseases, is in apparent good health, and is free for apparent wounds or injuries except as noted herein. Buyer may have dog examined by a veterinarian, at the buyer’s expense, within five (5) days from the date of sale or delivery of the puppy, whichever is later. Should the veterinarian certify in writing that the dog is ill or unsound, Buyer may elect to return the dog for full refund of the purchase price.
2. Buyer agrees to use the Seller’s kennel name, Pinnacle, in the dog’s AKC registered name.
3. Buyer agree the dog will live indoors and will never be permitted to roam free.
4. Buyer agrees to maintain current vaccinations and heartworm preventative as per their veterinarian’s recommendations.
5. Buyer agrees to notify the Seller if he at any time wishes to give away, sell or euthanize this dog. Seller retains the first option to the dog at no more than ½ the purchase price if the dog is over 1 year of age and provided the registration papers are returned to the Seller. If the dog is over 1 year of age, Seller shall have first option at no more than the full purchase price less any expenses incurred by the Seller in getting the dog to the Seller and provided the registration papers are returned to the Seller.
6. Buyer shall notify Seller of any change of address, phone number or e-mail address in a timely fashion.
7. Buyer agrees to attend a puppy class (puppy kindergarten or puppy socialization with a minimum of six (6) sessions) and at least one obedience class (minimum of six (6) sessions) after the puppy class , conducted by a qualified individual or organization.
8. Buyer understands that Seller has made every attempt to ensure the future good health of said dog. Seller guarantees this dog against hip dysphasia, epilepsy, and heritable eye disease until the dog is two (2) years of age. Seller guarantees the dog against any heritable diseases until the dog is two (2) years of age. Seller will reimburse buyer full purchase price of the dog when such a heritable disease is evidenced by a letter from a veterinary specialist. Seller may require a second opinion forma vet of his/her choosing.
9. This dog is not guaranteed to be free from any AKC disqualifying faults.
10. If Buyer pursues AKC titles with his dog in the areas of field, agility, obedience, or tracking, Seller will reimburse Buyer $25 per title (not to exceed $100) when furnished with a copy of the AKC certificate proving attainment of the title. (CGC title does not apply)
11. If neglect or abuse is suspected, Seller may at any time visit Buyer unannounced to inspect premises. If Buyer is ever convicted of neglect or abuse charges involving this or any other animal on the Buyer’s premises, the above named puppy will be returned to the Seller with no compensation to the Buyer of any kind.
It is further understood that no warranty or representation has been made with respect to said puppy except to set forth in writing in this agreement. Buyer assumes all responsibility for this puppy upon leaving the Seller’s premises. All guarantees are void in the presence of abuse or neglect. This Agreement is binding upon Buyer, Seller and their heirs, and agents. This Agreement is made for the mutual benefit and protection of named dog. This Agreement shall be construed and applied according to the laws of the State of Washington.
Photo below: Two Russian ladies north of Seattle, independently bought BRTs to empower their daughters. Roma and Luna have done exactly that. They encountered each other in a park and have been doing outings together this summer.
- Attendance at a Puppy Kindergarten class is required.
- All pet puppies are sold on a spay/neuter agreement.
- A puppy sold as “show” can be shown.
- A Black Russian Terrier purchased from us must be maintained as a housepet and the owner must have a securely fenced yard.
- We do not sell Black Russian Terriers to homes that allow them to free-roam or use chaining as a method of containment.
- If necessary, a home visit is required prior to sale. A club associate may make the home visit.
- We reserve the right to refuse the sale of a puppy to any home we feel is not suitable.
Quality pet, male or female – Not the pick of the litter, but the pups right behind it. In other words, if you would like to show this pup he will be good enough quality and, except for a judge trained in seeing structural faults, no one can differentiate these pups from the champions.
We do sell our pet females with a spay contract, or if you prefer not to spay, we do sell our pet pups under AKC’s Restricted Breeding Registration. Both will be lifted if you finish the championship on the female. Just send us a copy of the AKC championship certificate.
The pick of the litter – or the pups we feel are extra special and are reserved for people who want to show, breed, or those who want the very best. We feel very strongly that only the very best should be bred and we are very strict in our grading. We may grade only one or two in any litter as top show, sometimes there are none.
Call or write for current pricing. We do require a 10% non-refundable deposit to hold a pup.
Puppy Delivery & Payment
We guarantee every one of our dogs in writing and stand behind their quality. All our pups are bred for good looks and disposition. To be fair, payment is expected upon delivery.
All dogs shipped to other states are shipped from Seattle. We can ship the pup to you any day of the week. Some airlines do not accept dogs on weekends. You may pay with a check or money order sent to the kennel. For puppies sent by air, payment is expected prior to delivery. Please call or write if you would like more information. If for any reason you do not like your pup, please return ASAP (within 30 days). A refund will be paid except for shipping.
There are strict weather controls-so if the temperature in your area is 85 degrees plus or 30 degrees and below no airline will accept a live animal. Prices fluctuate from city to city and from airline to airline. In some cases dogs cost more than what a passenger would pay for the same trip. To make it fair for everyone – each puppy buyer will pay for his pup plus exactly what it will cost to ship the pup to his city.
For all dogs to be shipped they need a crate. These are the sizes:
|#200-economy crate||for pups under 20 pounds||$40|
|#300-medium||for most BRT pups||$70|
|#400-large||for BRT pups 41/2- 6 months||$80|
|#500-extra large||for adult BRTs||$90|
The airline charges shipping by volume so we try to use the smallest possible kennel to save on shipping. All pups will be checked by our veterinarian before being shipped – he has the final say. We cover his cost which includes the health document required by the airline plus all first vaccinations and micro-chipping. We include all costs except air freight in the price. There are no additional costs.
Finally, there is the cost of shipping itself which truly varies depending on which airline, where the pup is going and the size of the crate. We will bill you the exact price a few days before shipping but if you’d like to find out for yourself just call the airline you know flies to your area – tell them you’d like to know the exact shipping cost from Sea-Tac International airport to your city and if you tell them the size of the crate they will give you the price.
We have been shipping via Alaska Airlines, American Airfreight and NorthWest Airfreight. The average cost of delivery minus the crate is about $200.
Black Russian Terrier History
The Black Russian Terrier is a new page in the National cynology, written in gold letters. Many cynologists (dog breeding scientist) refuse to even recognize it as a breed, considering it a mere breed group. However, this so-called “breed group” has its own standard, genealogical tree, and one common recognized ancestor – Giant Schnauzer Roy. The dog’s exhibition rating is exceedingly high, which makes the talk of not recognizing it a breed at least absurd. The history of breeding the Russian terrier is complex, interesting, and somewhat mysterious in places, since many more breeds had been involved in the composition of the Russian terrier’s makeup than previously thought. So what kind of breed is the Russian Terrier, the breed nicknamed “Russian pearl”, “KGBist”, “Beria dog”, or, to put it more gently, “Blackie”?
Common puppy adoption questions
Pinnacle BRT puppies are all registered with the American Kennel Club. AKC is the recognized dog breed experts.
At time of sale, all puppies have been vaccinated and wormed as appropriate for their age, micro-chipped and have had their dewclaws removed.
The first 8 weeks of a puppy’s life are critical for their lifetime personality. Puppy pick up is 8 weeks of age at our home in Bellingham.
Puppy in the New Home
At long last, the day you have all been waiting for, your new puppy will make its grand entrance into your home. Before you bring your companion to its new residence, however, you must plan carefully for its arrival. Keep in mind the puppy will need time to adjust to life with a different owner.